Written By Legacy Healing Center - Aug 14 2019
Table of Contents
Do you find yourself afraid of what may happen if you stop drinking alcohol? Alcohol withdrawal and the side effects that come along with it can be daunting but there are many ways to treat alcoholism, you just have to find what is right for you.
Many individuals fear alcohol withdrawal is more severe than they can handle on their own. In general, alcohol withdrawal can range from feeling uncomfortable to be severe depending on the type of dependency and length of time.
Unfortunately, the alcohol withdrawal symptoms felt without the proper type of alcohol withdrawal medications and tips can lead individuals to relapse. Continue reading to learn tips related to how to treat alcoholism and what to expect with alcohol withdrawal.
It’s important to not go through quitting alcohol alone. Withdrawal can vary by person and in some cases can be extremely severe, even fatal. When you ask for help you are able to not only get moral support but even possibly alcohol withdrawal medications that can stop or reduce many of the symptoms felt when someone stops without any help.
These alcohol withdrawal medications can help with things such as the shakes, and delirium tremens as well as help with lowering the heart rate and keeping the risk for seizure at a low. These types of alcohol withdrawal medications are prescribed by a physician.
Other options of how to treat alcoholism is through a detox program. These programs are great for individuals who have tried to quit before and need some time out of their normal environment to work with specially trained professionals that monitor closely the treatment process.
The best part about a treatment center is that there is around the clock care, individuals are away from triggers and have a support system surrounding them to help them work towards their goal.
If you believe that yourself or someone you love may be struggling with alcohol, there are options out there for help and every step in the right direction helps. If the fear is related to alcohol withdrawal and you, or your loved one is unable to go to a detox facility up next we have a list of 6 ways to cope with alcohol withdrawal.
1. When in doubt, reach out to your physician – It is common for certain severe side effects to pop up during alcohol detox and withdrawal. If certain things such as delirium tremens is experienced, seeking medical attention is extremely important.
2. Take a walk – sometimes getting out and taking a walk can help greatly for those who are having a difficult time with stopping alcohol. Going for a walk can not only recharge the mental state but mixed with breathing techniques can help with internal reflection and getting moving.
3. Listen to music – Finding distractions, such as music, can help individuals focus less on the pain of withdrawal. Listening to music during detox can help rekindle a love, or hate, for certain types of music.
4. Exercise – Although it may seem difficult, getting a certain amount of exercise can be a great way to cope with withdrawal. Exercise allows the body to release endorphins which creates a natural happy feeling in the body.
5. Meditate – Deep breathing and meditation can allow individuals to stay relaxed throughout withdrawal. This can be a time for reflection and to allow the mind to remind the body why it has entered the recovery process in the first place.
6. Avoid Drinking Buddies – as hard as it may be, staying away from the friends that you associate with drinking and enable drinking habits is one of the best steps forward that can be made.
At the end of the day, allowing yourself to go through the withdrawal process and working through the difficulties can allow you to be proud when the addiction has been overcome.
If you or someone you know is suffering from alcohol withdrawal, please consider a treatment program at Legacy Healing Center. We offer a wide range of treatment programs such as partial hospitalization, intensive outpatients, outpatient programs, and family programs. Help is just a phone call away – reach out to someone at Legacy Healing Center today at 888-597-3547.
At Legacy Healing Center, our approach to recovery is built around a holistic methodology. We look at addiction as a comprehensive issue and offer a complete set of services to heal the physical body, the mind, and the spirit. Combining research-evidenced practices from medicine and psychology, our team of highly trained professionals looks at all aspects of our clients’ lives on an individual basis. Our holistic approach to healing encompasses more than dealing with addiction through primary treatment strategies like therapy and meetings. We offer a full range of services to heal the whole person, body, mind, and spirit.
Legacy Healing Center is dedicated to providing current and factual health information in the substance abuse industry. Our mission is to spread awareness around the disease of addiction for individuals seeking help.