Legacy Healing Center Blog
Top-Rated Dual Diagnosis Treatment Centers for Coral Springs Residents
Legacy Healing is one of the top-rated dual diagnosis treatment centers for residents of Coral Springs. We provide combined mental health and addictions treatments to get to the root of substance use disorders and mental illness in one integrated program. We will address the contributing factors connected with your addiction, and we will help you deal with the overall effect your addiction has had on your mental health in our dual diagnosis program.
What Does Dual Diagnosis Mean?
Dual diagnosis is a condition diagnosed by professional mental health and addictions experts, in which a person dealing with a substance use disorder also has an underlying psychiatric disorder, mental illness, or trauma that also needs treatment. A dual diagnosis requires an integrated treatment approach because a person with an addiction can easily relapse without treating the underlying root of both issues.
People addicted to drugs are two times as likely to suffer from mood and anxiety disorders. The fact is that 45% of people who have an addiction also have a mental health disorder, a problem affecting nearly 8.4 million adults in the United States, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). Some of the leading causes for a co-occurring mental health condition alongside addiction include:
- Chronic stress, anxiety, a history of trauma, or other environmental triggers.
- Genetic predisposition is responsible for 40-60% of susceptibility to addiction.
- Drug/alcohol use at an early age.
- Family history (especially first-degree family members) of mental illness.
- Family relationships can cause learned responses to fear, stress, or loss.
- Substance abuse can cause neurological damage that may trigger or intensify preexisting mental illnesses.
Mental Health Conditions that Commonly Occur With Addiction
Mental health conditions that commonly occur alongside addiction include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Warning Signs Someone May Have a Dual Diagnosis
Some of the symptoms of dual diagnosis include:
- Erratic, impulsive behavior or other general behavioral changes
- Having difficulty managing daily responsibilities, finances, health and hygiene
- Avoiding social activities and events you used to enjoy
- Cognitive impairment and delusional thinking
- Poor performance at school or work
- Refusal to get help or comply with treatment
- Suicidal thoughts or behaviors
The Importance of Treating Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Simultaneously
Addiction and mental illness are often inextricably tied together. Some drugs can bring out latent issues such as psychosis. Often, the underlying mental health issue is actually the cause of addiction, with people self-medicating to mask the symptoms of mental illness. This is a potentially self-destructive coping mechanism that can quickly get out of hand as the abuse of drugs and alcohol increases as tolerance increases as people consume as much of the substance as it takes to feel better.
What Makes Dual Diagnosis Treatment Different?
With dual diagnosis treatment at Legacy Healing in Coral Springs, you will receive targeted therapy designed to treat both addiction and mental illness simultaneously by the same team of professionals so you can get to the root of both issues at once. This will stop the cycle of substance use and mental illness symptoms for good.
Dual Diagnosis Treatment at Legacy Healing Center
Dual diagnosis treatment is best provided in an inpatient rehab setting so you can receive a high level of care and attention from our professional, caring staff, with medical services and therapists available when you need them. Many people who have a dual diagnosis have neglected their general health and are feeling distressed, so this high level of care is essential to be able to move beyond the addiction and head towards living the life you want to live, with your mental health under control and your habit in your rear-view mirror.
For Coral Springs dual diagnosis treatment, consider Legacy Healing. We offer individualized treatment plans for each patient to ensure all your needs are being met, considering your personal preferences and goals for your future. We will help you treat these interconnected issues in a customized, integrated program, and we will keep you safe and healthy as you heal your mind, body, and spirit. Call us at 888.534.2295 today to learn more.
— Legacy Healing Center (@LegacyHealingC1) October 18, 2021