Many individuals in the United States will encounter a traumatic event at least once in their lifetime. However, a number of these individuals do not properly address this trauma. At Legacy Healing’s rehab facility in Cincinnati, OH, we have an extremely helpful trauma therapy program. We believe that therapy, overall, provides a safe and confidential place for a person to talk to professionals about experiences, thoughts, feelings, or problems. People who go to therapy may have experienced a situation that disrupts and/or impacts their thinking, mood, feelings, or ability to relate to others.
What Is Trauma Therapy in Ohio?
Trauma-focused therapy, also known as trauma-informed care or trauma therapy, is a form of psychotherapy designed to manage the impact of traumatic events on people’s lives. Trauma therapy helps people process traumatic events and the lasting experience of trauma that may follow them. A traumatic event is any event in a person’s life that they experience as life-threatening, abusive, frightening, or dangerous. This form of therapy can help you if you are unable to cope with the trauma you experienced or if it is affecting your ability to function.
Types of Trauma Therapy
There are additional forms of therapy commonly used to treat victims of trauma. All forms have the common goal of putting an end to a past trauma affecting one’s daily life. The types of trauma therapy one may consider are explained below:
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) – CPT involves challenging your perspective about why the traumatic event occurred and the thoughts and beliefs you’ve developed since. This form of therapy can be performed in individual or group settings.
- Prolonged Exposure (PE) – A type of cognitive behavioral therapy, this form of therapy involves exposing you to the source of your fear until you are not afraid of it anymore.
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT) – This is a form of trauma therapy used with children, adolescents, and families. Done over a number of sessions, typically between 8 and 25, it can help address inaccurate beliefs and unhealthy behavior patterns.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) – A type of psychotherapy, this treatment involves using rhythmic left-right stimulation to help release emotions that have been blocked by trauma.
- Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) – Therapists use compassionate understanding and active listening, plus they create a therapeutic alliance in this form of therapy, focusing on the stories people tell themselves about their lives. A coherent life narrative impacts the patient’s well-being and how they view themselves. This helps reference how someone perceives their life and memories overall.
Benefits of Trauma Therapy
The overarching goal of trauma therapy is to help someone process their emotions and feelings connected to the traumatizing event and to no longer let it get in the way of them living their daily life. This form of therapy helps the traumatized person connect the dots between what happened and how it has shaped their beliefs about the world, themselves, or others. Trauma can distort the truth, and correcting this untruth can lift a heavy burden off of one’s shoulders and benefit one’s overall mental health.
Recover From Trauma With Our Rehabilitation Center in Ohio
While generally speaking, it is important to find help from a specialist for most mental health problem issues, this is especially true with trauma due to its highly nuanced and specialized nature. Here at our rehab center in Cincinnati, OH, we can promise you that we are here to help you and get you on the road to recovery.
For more information about our levels of care and other therapy programs, call Legacy Healing Center today at (513) 586-4971.
Legacy Healing Center testimonials
Real People. Real experiences
Legacy Healing Center testimonials
What Our Alumni Has to Say
Absolutely beautiful! Staff is so caring and welcoming. Highly recommend to anyone who is struggling and looking to heal. This is the place for you!Jacqueline C.
Honestly, it's not what you imagine when thinking "detox." Legacy made my experience so comfortable from beds, food, staff and such a clean facility. Besides all that they literally gave me life back. Forever thankful.Avi S.
GET IN TOUCH
If you would like to get in touch with us or simply have any questions or comments, please call us today. Our helpline is 100% confidential.
Visit Us1425 WEST CYPRESS CREEK ROAD, SUITE 201
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33309