Medical detoxification, or medical detox, refers to ridding the body of toxic, addictive substances like drugs or alcohol. Also known as withdrawal treatment, medical detox is conducted under the supervision of a team of licensed medical professionals. This team usually consists of healthcare professionals like a physician, nurses, clinical staff, and therapists. This is an important step in the recovery process as it addresses challenging withdrawals and drug cravings that could otherwise lead to relapse. Keep reading to learn how our Cherry Hill detox for drug addiction works.
How to Detox from Drugs
While there are various tips and tricks on drug detox at home, this method isn’t safe or most effective. Especially when it comes to drugs like benzos, alcohol, and opioids, attempting an at-home detox without medical support increases the risk of physical complications and even death.
Instead, our Cherry Hill rehab center encourages individuals who want to quit drugs and alcohol to look into safer and more professional options like our detox services. At our facility, undergoing medical detox is the first step in most patients’ treatment plans.
The purpose of medical detox is to prevent severe complications and/or relapse, which is most probable during withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms are the result of physical dependence. This is when the body is unable to function normally or feel good without a particular substance. When a person who’s physically dependent on drugs or alcohol suddenly stops using these substances, they experience withdrawals.
Common side effects of detox include:
– Dilated pupils
– Hunger or loss of appetite
– Irritability and agitation
– Muscle pain or aches
– Nausea and/or vomiting
Withdrawals are often uncomfortable, painful, and sometimes life-threatening. The severity and longevity of these symptoms vary depending on the drug in question, how long the person has been using the drug, and whether they combined it with other substances. If you or someone you know wants to quit drugs or alcohol but doesn’t know where to start, our Cherry Hill detox for drug addiction is here to help.
Benefits of Detox for Addiction Recovery
While detox isn’t required for all clients who come to Legacy Healing Center Cherry Hill for drug or alcohol treatment, it is a highly beneficial form of care for those with severe substance use disorders. Some benefits of medical detox include:
– Safety: As we’ve mentioned, medical detox is the safest way to detox from drugs and alcohol. It allows patients to experience withdrawals under the supervision and care of medical staff such as physicians and nurses, which greatly reduces the risk of complications. Access to medical care reduces the risk of complications such as seizures and severe dehydration and gives the individual accountability and peace of mind.
– Reduced risk of relapse: Withdrawal symptoms are often uncomfortable, painful, and even life-threatening. Therefore, it’s understandable that those who do not receive the right kind of support while detoxing will often relapse simply to avoid withdrawals. Because our detox programs include medication-assisted care, the risk of relapse and ending treatment prematurely is greatly reduced.
– Access to a sober environment: One of the main issues with detoxing from drugs at home is the high potential for relapse and complications, as we’ve mentioned. A major contributing factor is a lack of accountability. At home, the individual is surrounded by triggers, including things like unpaid bills, drinking buddies, and accessibility to drugs and alcohol. Receiving withdrawal treatment in a safe medical facility like our Cherry Hill detox center is the main way to guarantee a safe and sober detox.
– It prepares you for the next stage of treatment: Withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings are among the most challenging factors that addicts experience during recovery. Considering that detox is centered on addressing these things, receiving professional detoxification can increase clients’ chances of continuing treatment.
Detoxing From Drugs at Legacy Healing Center
While enrolling in a detox program can be overwhelming at first, take comfort in knowing that once this stage has passed, the worst is over. If you or someone you know is searching for withdrawal and substance abuse treatment, our Cherry Hill detox for drug addiction is here for you.
Contact Legacy Healing Center today to learn how to get started.
Legacy Healing Center testimonials
Real People. Real experiences
Legacy Healing Center testimonials
What Our Alumni Has to Say
Absolutely beautiful! Staff is so caring and welcoming. Highly recommend to anyone who is struggling and looking to heal. This is the place for you!Jacqueline C.
Honestly, it's not what you imagine when thinking "detox." Legacy made my experience so comfortable from beds, food, staff and such a clean facility. Besides all that they literally gave me life back. Forever thankful.Avi S.