Legacy Healing Center Blog
What to Expect in Alcohol Detox in Delray Beach
Deciding that it is time to face your alcohol addiction head-on is a courageous step that comes with many questions. Many residents of Delray Beach often have questions and reservations about what the alcohol detox process will be like. Whether you have tried to quit alcohol on your own and experienced withdrawal symptoms or have heard about some of the severe side effects of alcohol detox, many wonder what their own experience will be like for them. At Legacy Healing Center’s alcohol detox in Delray Beach, Florida, we hold your safety and comfortability in the highest regard when it comes to detoxing from alcohol. Our team of men and women will take the time to understand your specific history with alcohol and formulate an alcohol detox plan that is tailored to meet your needs and effectively mitigate any severe withdrawal symptoms with the support of our on-site team of nurses and physicians.
Alcohol Detox and Withdrawal Symptoms
At our alcohol detox in Delray Beach, Florida, each patient will have their own unique detox experience and experience a wide range of symptoms. Common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are:
- Mood swings
- Increased heart rate
- Elevated blood pressure
- Heart palpitations
- Abnormal breathing
Medical Detox for Alcohol Addiction in Delray Beach
Patients often ask if they should detox from alcohol on their own before entering into an alcohol rehab program. Due to the potential of severe or life-threatening withdrawal side effects, it is strongly recommended that you go through your alcohol detox in Delray Beach, Florida under the care of medical professionals. This provides you with the safety and security of knowing that your symptoms will be treated by doctors and nurses specializing in effective detox management.
For some patients, you may experience severe withdrawal symptoms that create unpleasant or uncomfortable feelings or side effects. While others may experience intense alcohol cravings. If this is the case, you may be offered medications that will work to lessen and ease the severity of your symptoms and bring your side effects down to a mild or moderate level.
Medications that are offered to patients are:
- Acamprosate helps to decrease alcohol cravings once you are in recovery.
- Disulfiram will cause unpleasant feelings or side effects if any alcohol is consumed, making it a strong deterrent for potential relapse behavior.
- Naltrexone works to block the rewarding or reinforcing effects of alcohol.
How Long Does Alcohol Detox Take?
A common concern for those preparing to begin their alcohol detox is its duration. This will be entirely dependent on your own personal history of alcohol use and the level of physical and physiological dependency that has been created. Typically, patients will experience alcohol withdrawal in three stages:
- Stage One: This will usually begin within eight hours of your last drink. Common withdrawal symptoms will be headaches, insomnia, anxiety, heart palpitations, gastrointestinal issues, and anxiety.
- Stage Two: This stage will often occur within one to three days. Withdrawal symptoms commonly felt will be symptoms from stage one and, additionally, elevated blood pressure or heart rate, mild hyperthermia, confusion, or rapid, abnormal breathing patterns.
- Stage Three: Patients will often move into stage three by days three to seven. Symptoms that have been felt from stages one and two will still be present, and there could be the onset of side effects, including hallucinations, seizures, fever, and agitation.
Alcohol Rehab to Treat the Root Causes of Addiction
Legacy Healing Center’s alcohol detox in Delray Beach, Florida firmly believes that to heal from alcohol addiction requires much more than just stopping your drinking habits. It requires looking inward to what has been the root cause of your addictive behaviors. Our counselors will work closely with you to gain perspective on the deep-seated emotions and traumas linked to your addiction and help you heal from those past pains through evidence-based therapy methods. Our compassionate team of men and women is committed to supporting Delray Beach residents in their paths to discovering a new lifestyle based on sobriety, happiness, and fulfillment within your body, mind, and spirit. Call us at 888.534.2295 today to learn more about our alcohol detox in Delray Beach, Florida.